About Development Charges
Which developments involve a charge?
Development charges may apply if you are:
- constructing a new building.
- making an addition or alteration to an existing building which increases the total floor area or number of units.
- re-developing a property or properties which results in a change of use.
- making interior alterations that result in a change of use to all or part of a building or unit.
Why are development charges collected?
Development charges assist in financing costs associated with growth and development within the city of Vaughan. Every development application is evaluated to determine whether and to what extent development charges apply. Fees collected are used solely for city-building purposes.
What do development charges pay for?
Development charges help fund the increased need for the following services:
- Engineering services
- Public works (garbage, recycling, park maintenance, etc.)
- Community services (swimming, camps, fitness centres, etc.)
- Library services
- Fire and rescue services
- General government