The Vaughan Accord is a historic document that commits all Members of Council to serving the City of Vaughan in a manner which reflects a positive image of the City and instills civic pride.
The Accord outlines Council’s commitment and dedication to the task of city-building, and states that “a vibrant and successful city depends on a Council that is prepared to work together, constructively, and always in the best interest of the City of Vaughan.”
The Vaughan Accord was endorsed at a special signing ceremony on Dec. 4, 2018.
We acknowledge that it is a privilege to be elected as a Member of the City of Vaughan Council for the 2018-2022 term of office. As Members of Council we honour that privilege by dedicating ourselves to the task of city-building, knowing that a vibrant and successful city depends on a Council that is prepared to work together, constructively, and always in the interest of the City of Vaughan.
Accordingly, we commit to:
- Ensure that our behaviour is at all times consistent with the City’s core values of Respect, Accountability and Dedication;
- Follow the Code of Ethical Conduct for Members of Council, and all City policies that apply to Members of Council;
- Be responsible stewards of the City’s finances, assets, services, public places, and the natural environment;
- Provide stable, transparent and effective governance, focused on achieving excellence, and to set this standard for all City goals and objectives;
- Act constructively, with mutual respect, and with respect for all persons who come before us;
- Provide and promote, through effective communication, meaningful and inclusive citizen engagement;
- Create conditions for an economic environment which promotes innovation, productivity enhancement and job creation;
- Inspire cultural growth by promoting sports, the arts, music, theatre and architectural excellence;
- Promote unity through diversity as a characteristic of Vaughan citizenship;
- Remember our history and heritage by protecting and preserving important landmarks;
- Exercise a leadership role beyond our borders by sharing our ideas, knowledge and experience widely; and
- Strive to achieve the best possible quality of life and standard of living for Vaughan residents.
- And that by signing this Accord, we the elected Members of Council pledge to keep this commitment, and to serve the City of Vaughan in a manner that will reflect a positive image of the City and instil civic pride.
Dated at Vaughan, Ontario, on this 4th day of December, 2018.