About the by-law
The Noise By-law 121-2021 (PDF) regulates noise and the times of day noise can occur. The purpose of the by-law is to preserve and protect the safety and welfare of all residents of the city by promoting peace and quiet.
- The noise level of an air conditioner, heat pump or similar device must not exceed 61dB(A) (decibels) when measured at the point of reception.
- Construction work is only permitted between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and not permitted on Sunday or statutory holidays.
- The loading or unloading of a transport truck, commercial vehicle or any other vehicle used to transport goods is not permitted between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- The Noise Control By-law allows for exemptions through an application. There are two types of noise exemptions: one for special events and another for construction-related noise. Applications must be submitted 60 days before an event.
- Noise exemption applications:
- Construction Noise Exemption Application Form
- Visit the Special Events page for the Special Events Application Form.
|Noise Exemption Application Fee
The Noise By-law is enforced by City Municipal Law Enforcement Officers. Noise issues may also be investigated by other agencies when the complaints potentially involve criminal activity, environmental concerns or other community impact issues. Learn more about how to register a complaint.