Water Shut Off and Turn On

Learn more about your property's curb box, water shut off and turn on process, fees, completing a large landscape project and Vaughan vs. homeowner responsibilities.

Use the quick links below to skip to the section you need:


Curb box

Every property in Vaughan has a curb box (commonly referred to as a water service valve) at the property line that controls the water running to a home or building from the City's watermain. This outdoor shut off is in addition to the one you have in your home.


The curb box is a round metal plate approximately 10 centimetres in diameter located on the front lawn, driveway or sidewalk of a property and is owned and operated by the City. It is the property owner's responsibility to maintain access to the curb box.


The City of Vaughan does not re-locate curb boxes. If a curb box must be moved due to a renovation or rebuild, a new water service connection is needed. An application can be made for a residential service connection request. If a curb box requires repair or needs to be lowered please submit a request online.


curb box

Example of a curb box that needs repair




Door NoticeDoor notice

Have you received a door notice? To ensure the safety and well-being of citizens, the City must complete routine scheduled maintenance. The Environmental Services department often uses public notices delivered directly to the door to inform residents about various work throughout the year.


The most common types used by this department are:

  • curb box repair and after-care instructions
  • flushing and swabbing lines as part of scheduled maintenance
  • water shut off notices

For more information, contact Service Vaughan at 905-832-2281.



Water shut off and turn on

Property owners can request to turn City's water supply on or off to complete repairs or renovate a home or building. Non-emergency requests must be made three to five business days before the shut off or turn on is required. You can complete this request in two ways:
•    Submit a service request online. Read how to submit a water shut off/turn on application and payment online (PDF) for details. 
•    Call Service Vaughan at 905-832-2281 or email service@vaughan.ca

If you have an emergency leak or a pipe has burst from a City watermain, contact Service Vaughan at 905-832-2281.


There is a fee for both a water turn on and/or water shut off.


Please refer to the price chart below. Rates quoted from the Fees and Charges By-law 224-2023 (PDF)

​Regular hours (Residential, Multi-Residential and Businesses)Cost​​
​Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 3:30 pm

$165 turn on/off


After hoursCost

Any time other than office hours

(including weekends and holidays)

$250 turn on/off



Completing a large landscape project

If you are paving, resurfacing, excavating or landscaping your driveway or front lawn, never touch or cover your curb box.


To avoid unnecessary damage and costly repairs, follow these steps before your renovation work begins:

  1. If you are excavating, locate all your utility lines first. Contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 to schedule an inspection. Under Ontario regulations, this is the law.
  2. A minimum of two weeks before work begins, request an inspection. Submit a curb box inspection request online or call Service Vaughan at 905-832-2281.
  3. A water operator will come and locate any curb boxes that are under your driveway or property.

Contact us a minimum of 2 weeks before work begins


It is the responsibility of the property owner to contact the City for inspection. A contractor is not authorized to complete this work. If the curb box gets damaged by contractors, the City will make the repairs and property owners will be charged for the damage to City property.


To report a municipal emergency or problem that requires immediate attention, such as a leaking curb box, call Service Vaughan at 905-832-2281.


Vaughan's responsibility versus homeowner's responsibility

The City is responsible for the public portion of the water distribution system, running from the watermain to the municipal property line. Beyond the property line is the private portion of the system and is the responsibility of the homeowner.


Click here to view in PDF format.
Image and text of how curb box is connected to a home (PDF)